When Memorial Day passes by, temperatures start to heat up and so does the industry conference schedule. One conference that will command some added attention this week is NAREIT's REITWeek Investor Forum, which starts on Tuesday.
REITWeek Investor Forum (Tuesday, June 6 - Wednesday, June 8)
- Why it's important
- With the persistence of low interest rates, investors are looking for more attractive income-generating investments. REITs, which often sport high dividend yields, are seen as one such income-generating alternative.
- Real estate is a growing sector, so it has commanded more interest in a relatively low-growth world
- Mall-based REIT stocks have gotten pummeled on concerns about retailers closing a large number of stores and anchor tenants suffering from weak traffic. REIT investors will be anxious to hear any perspective on the prospects of mall-based REITs
- The REIT industry is an expansive space covering a host of industry niches, like mortgage, health care, office, and retail REITs, so comments from the industry provide important economic insight
- A closer look
- More than 100 companies are scheduled to deliver presentations
- What's in play?
- Real Estate Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLRE)
- Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ)
- iShares U.S. Real Estate ETF (IYR)
- Schwab U.S. REIT ETF (SCHH)
- iShares Cohen & Steers REIT ETF (ICF)
- SPDR Dow Jones REIT ETF (RWR)
- iShares Mortgage Real Estate Capped ETF (REM)