The summer investment conference schedule continues to sizzle along with temperatures in the Midwest. One of the more notable conferences to be held this week will be the Goldman Sachs Annual Global Healthcare Conference, which will start Tuesday in the temperate surroundings of Ranch Palos Verdes, California.
Goldman Sachs Annual Global Healthcare Conference (Tuesday, June 13 - Thursday, June 15)
- Why it's important
- With efforts afoot in Congress to repeal and replace Obamacare, investors are anxious to hear how any prospective changes might influence the sales and earnings prospects for related healthcare companies
- The healthcare sector is the third largest sector in the S&P 500, accounting for 14% of its market value. Movement in this sector, then, potentially has market-moving implications.
- Irrespective of the political uncertainty afflicting the sector, demographic patterns continue to work in its favor. Accordingly, investors will be listening for insight on growth prospects tied to the aging of baby boomers.
- The S&P 500 healthcare sector has outperformed the market this year, with an 11.7% gain versus an 8.3% gain for the S&P 500. Commentary out of the conference could help widen, or narrow, the performance divide.
- A closer look
- What's in play?
- iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB)
- SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI)
- Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT)
- iShares U.S. Medical Devices ETF (IHI)
- First Trust Health Care AlphaDEX Fund (FXH)