In the next few days, there will be a slate of manufacturing PMI reports from around the globe. China, however, will get things rolling in that regard this weekend with the release of its official manufacturing PMI report for December.
China's Official Manufacturing PMI Report for December (Sunday, December 30, at 8:00 p.m. ET)
- Why it's important
- The official manufacturing PMI report offers insight into the level
of business activity for China's largest manufacturers and will either
heighten or calm concerns about the pace of economic growth in China.
- The dividing line between expansion and contraction is 50.0.
- The report on manufacturing activity in China has the ability to move commodity prices.
- Chinese authorities are taking steps to rein in speculative excess in the Chinese economy. This report will contribute to the market's thinking about the impact (or lack thereof) of those efforts.
- The official manufacturing PMI reading has been above 50.0 for 27 straight months. A sub-50 reading will exacerbate concerns about protectionist trade actions and the relative weakness of major economies outside the U.S. spilling over to the U.S.
- The official manufacturing PMI report offers insight into the level of business activity for China's largest manufacturers and will either heighten or calm concerns about the pace of economic growth in China.
- A closer look
- The official manufacturing PMI report checked in at 50.0 for November, down from 50.2 in October.
- What's in play?
- China ETFs
- iShares China Large-Cap (FXI)
- ProShares UltraShort FTSE China 50 (FXP)
- Deutsche X-trackers Harvest CSI 300 (ASHR)
- ETFs for regional markets
- iShares MSCI Japan (EWJ)
- iShares MSCI Australia (EWA)
- iShares MSCI Hong Kong (EWH)
- iShares MSCI South Korea Capped (EWY)
- iShares MSCI Singapore (EWS)
- iShares MSCI Taiwan (EWT)
- iShares MSCI Malaysia (EWM)
- iShares MSCI Emerging Markets (EEM)
- Index ETFs
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY)
- Invesco QQQ Trust (QQQ)
- iShares Russell 2000 (IWM)
- SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF (DIA)
- S&P futures
- China ETFs