April Treasury Budget
Updated 25-May-11 21:13 ET
- The federal budget deficit contracted from $82.7 bln in April 2010 to $40.5 bln in March 2011. Since the Treasury budget data are not seasonally adjusted, the results cannot be compared with the levels from February.
- The Briefing.com consensus expected the deficit to narrow to $41.0 bln.
- The Congressional Budget Office released its deficit preview earlier in the week and forecasted a budget shortfall of $41.0 bln. The market is well aware of the CBO's forecast, and since discrepancy between the CBO and actual data was minor, there should be limited market reaction.
- Total outlays increased $2.1 bln from April 2010 to April 2011. Revenues increased $44.3 bln during the same time frame.
- Fiscal year-to-date, the deficit is $869.9 bln, $70.2 bln more than FY10.
- Raw Data Available At: http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/index.html
|Deficit (-)/Surplus Fiscal YTD
|Deficit (-)/Surplus over last 12 months