Last Update: 10-Apr-14 14:16 ET
- The Treasury budget showed a deficit of $36.9 bln in March 2014 after reporting a deficit of $106.5 bln in March 2013. The Treasury data are not seasonally adjusted and the March deficit cannot be compared with the results from February. The Briefing.com consensus expected a budget deficit of $36 bln.
- The Congressional Budget Office released their monthly budget preview earlier in the week and predicted a deficit of $36 bln. The market is well aware of the CBO's forecast and generally does not react to the actual budget release.
- Total revenues increased by $29.8 bln, from $186.0 bln in March 2013 to $215.8 bln in March 2014.
- Total outlays fell to 252.7 bln in March 2014 from $292.5 bln in March 2013, a drop of $39.8 bln.
- Year-to-date, the deficit is $413.3 bln, $187.2 less than FY 2013.
- Raw data available at http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/index.htm
|Deficit (-)/Surplus Fiscal YTD
|Deficit (-)/Surplus over last 12 months